Our office has a pot luck luncheon during the holidays. Sweets is one of the items I’m thankful for on our Thankful Tree so naturally I signed up to bring a dessert item. Since I couldn’t decide which one to make, I made two.
My favorite of the two is a super simple, sweet and salty toffee made with Saltines!
- 40 saltine crackers
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 cups chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350ºF.
I lined a 9×13 pan with parchment paper and sprayed it with non-stick spray. You probably only need one or the other but I wanted to minimize the mess.
Lay crackers out flat on the pan (9 rows of 5 for a 9×13 pan)
Melt sugar and butter stirring frequently.
Pour butter mixture over crackers and spread to coat.
Bake 10 minutes in 350ºF oven.
Remove from oven. While hot, sprinkle with chocolate chips. Let them soften and melt, then spread evenly over the crackers.
Sprinkle with nuts (optional). I skipped this step because I didn’t have the right nuts.
Let cool and then refrigerate until hardened.
Peanut Butter Blossoms also known as Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies
- 48 HERSHEY’S KISSES (Milk Chocolate)
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Granulated sugar
- Heat oven to 375°F. Remove wrappers from chocolates. Beat shortening and peanut butter in large bowl until well blended. Add 1/3 cup granulated sugar and brown sugar; beat until fluffy. Add egg, milk and vanilla; beat well. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into peanut butter mixture.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in granulated sugar; place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and gently press a chocolate kiss into center of each cookie; cookie will crack around edges. Do not wait for the cookies to cool. Do this right away. Cool completely.