Can’t Sleep! Result = Easter Egg Decoupage

I don't know why but I've been unable to sleep a full night this week. I'm not sure if it's the pregnancy (I've been tossing and turning and waking up starving in the middle of the night!!) or if it's all the projects I want to do but don't have time to complete during the day or maybe a combination of the two. Isn't it crazy how decorating and crafts can keep someone up at night? My neighbor, Alison, was just telling me she was having the same problem!

Anyway, I was up last night {really this morning} from 4-6:30. I tried to go back to bed but after 30 minutes of lying there I finally realized it wasn't working and I got up. I decided to tackle a few projects on my list. The first to share was something that I saw in this month's All You magazine.

I earmarked the page about a month ago but it was still to early for me to start thinking about Easter. Now with Easter only two weeks ago, I thought it was time to dig out my magazine. As I'm reading through the instructions, I realized I picked out the same patterns as my inspiration. How cool is that!!

Materials:

Origami Paper, Eggs (preferably wooden or Styrofoam eggs but I only had the plastic ones), craft glue (I used Mod Podge), a brush (but you could use your finger if you're in a pinch) and scissors

1. Measure the egg's length and width (circumference). Add a 1/4 inch to the length and 1/8 to the circumference. Using the revised measurements cut a rectangle out of the origami paper.

2. Fold the rectangle lengthwise with the outside facing in. Draw a line about 1/4 an inch from the fold (parallel to the fold). Cut slits about 1/4 inch apart toward the line you drew but do not cut past the line.

3.Unfold the paper and apply glue to the fold line. Wrap the paper around the center of the egg. The slits will be facing up and down.

4. Apply glue to the underside of a strip and gently adhere the strip to the egg smoothing it out as you press it down. Cut the strip if it extends beyond the tip of the egg.

5. Repeat the process until all slits have been glued down and the egg is fully covered.

6. Apply a thin coat of glue over the entire egg to seal it.

What cute Easter eggs!! What fun crafts do you have planned for Easter or Spring?

Thank you for visiting! Hope you enjoy the craft! Please let me know if you have any questions, suggestions or general feedback!

Other Spring Crafts you may enjoy (distressed birdhouses, super simple bird silhouette, spring banner from scrap materials, spring wreath)! Click on the image to access the tutorial or post.

Update: A great big thank you to Tatertots and Jello for featuring this craft in her 25 Inspired Easter Projects to Make! Be sure to check out Jen's blog for some crafty spring inspiration. And a special thanks to Heidi from The Frugal Girls for highlighting this post as well!

Linking to:

The Shabby Nest Weekend Bloggy Reading five days five ways  feature friday free for all I Heart Nap Time Skip To My Lou

Visit thecsiproject.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

42 comments

1. Sue says:

Well Night OWL …join the Club except I watch TV or read when I cannot sleep. These are beautiful eggs and I love the patterns and colors. You are too smart and creative!! Have you tried orgigami creations? I have and it is great fun to do. You have also answered my question in my last message as to when you sleep…..now I know!!! You don’t!! Take are of you….Sue

• guyerfamily says:

Sue, I really wish I could get more sleep!! Poor Walt has to deal with my grumpiness when I don’t get enough! I’m actually wanting to do an origami mobile for the baby but I was going to see if Jacob would do it because he enjoys it as well and that way he can give him something!

Thanks for stopping by! Take care!!

2. Paula says:

I’ve been wanting to make some eggs like these using scrapbook paper and didn’t know how to do it. Thanks for the directions. The ones you made look great!

I’m visiting from Serenity Now’s party and hope you’ll stop by my blog for a visit, too.

• guyerfamily says:

Paula, Thanks for stopping by and I’m happy to hear the tutorial will help!! I took a look at your blog and your bathroom updates are classic and I loved your viola centerpiece!!

Enjoy!
      Angela

• guyerfamily says:

Abbie, I’ve been a fan of your for a while! I love your What I Wore posts. You are so cute and stylish! Thanks for visiting and I’ll definitely check out your free for all. I’m glad to learn about it!
      Angela

3. Miss Kitty says:

Hi Angela…you eggs look amazing! I am always on the look out for projects that look harder than they actually are. Your good tutorial makes these pretty eggs look easy. I have never used origami paper before…is it hard to find? I saw your post over at “Sundae Scoop Link Party”.

• guyerfamily says:

Miss Kitty,

Thanks for visiting and thank you for your question! This was my first time using origami paper as well but it’s a little thinner than scrapbook paper so it’s easier to manipulate (or smooth out). I found mine in the scrapbook paper aisle at Michael’s. I believe Hobby Lobby stores have them as well. You can also purchase it online at somewhere like Amazon.

Hope that helps!
      Angela

4. Linda L Snively says:

Well it is good to see that I am not the only one with the “can’t sleep because I have too many projects on my mind” syndrome!!! I remember my mother telling me that she was afraid of dying before she had a chance to “do” all of the projects she had wanted to finish!! I love the eggs-just wondering if scrap book paper will work instead of the origami?

5. Michelle @ Teagans Travels says:

I had horrible insomnia both times I was pregnant with my girls! The irony is you will need that sleep when you little one arrives! Oh but those were special nights too, full of dreaming, planning, et! Congrats to you!

I love these little eggs and wondered how it was done! I never would have thought to cut the paper! Great tutorial. Would love if you’d share it on my linky party going on now on Teagan’s Travels.

Cheers, Michelle

6. Deborah says:

Thanks so much. I was just about to tackle decoupaging easter eggs this weekend but not really sure how to tackle it. Thanks for sharing. I found you through Sunade Scoop Link.

7. Judy says:

I love your eggs. I have done eggs similar before, but I like how you used one piece of paper with all the little slits. I usually just do small pieces cut up. I’m going to try your way. I found you via Centsational Girl.

8. Linda @ it all started with paint says:

Your sleepless night means we get to benefit from your amazing creativity!

This is such a great project! I love it’s simplicity. In fact, it’s downright cinchy … and would be perfect at our “It’s a Cinch” multi-blog link party. The link stays open until midnight Friday and when you link at one blog, you’re automatically linked up to the party’s five co-hosts …

Hope to see you at the party!

Linda

• guyerfamily says:

Julie, I’m glad you enjoy the site. I have been lazy about starting a facebook page but you may have giving me the kick I need. I’ll look into that this week and let you know!

9. Ncis season 4 episode 23 says:

Hey there! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering
    which blog platform are you using for this website? I’m getting sick and tired of WordPress because I’ve had issues
    with hackers and I’m looking at options for another platform. I would be fantastic if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

10. ncis episodes season 7 free says:

Hi, I think your website might be having browser compatibility issues.
    When I look at your blog in Opera, it looks fine but when opening in
    Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping. I just wanted
    to give you a quick heads up! Other then that, amazing blog!

11. Estella says:

Hey there! I realize this is kind of off-topic however I had to
    ask. Does managing a well-established blog like yours require a massive amount work?

I am completely new to blogging however I do write in my journal daily.
    I’d like to start a blog so I can share my own experience and feelings online. Please let me know if you have any kind of recommendations or tips for new aspiring bloggers. Thankyou!