Lily’s Sesame Street 2nd Birthday Party

I’ll start with the bad news. I’m sad to say I don’t have any pictures to share of Jacob’s graduation or our time at Great Wolf Lodge and I won’t be sharing detailed tutorials of Lily’s birthday decorations as planned because my husband accidentally deleted 1900 pictures off the camera to make room for Lily’s birthday photos!!! Yes, I cried – literally!! It doesn’t help that I’m pregnant and hormonal.

Some of the pictures are on the blog but I had several of the kids being silly and cute, hundreds of before and after photos of all the birthday crafts, diy projects and recent updates we have been doing over the last 3 weeks (all the furniture I’ve painted and the furniture reupholstered)  – they are all gone!!

The good news is I have several pictures from Lily’s Sesame Street themed party to share!

If you recall these photos were my inspiration.

I can’t say the party went off without a hitch. The party started at 3 pm and at 2:30 decorations were still not hung! After 3 weeks of preparing, all the DIY crafts were made but I didn’t account for was being 8 months pregnant and unable to climb and hang the decorations myself. And Walt was running around getting food, ice and balloons so several of my “great” ideas went out the window. I know the kids could care less about the decorative paper fans or if their M&M jars had ribbons on it but I was still bummed because I thought I planned well but I still ran out of time!

Let’s start with the party decorations.

I didn’t want a lot of Sesame Street stuff I would never use again so I used a primary color scheme – red, yellow, blue (which ended up being a softer blue) and green. I started with the invitations (which were purchased from Precious Pixel for $5.00) and carried the color scheme throughout the party.

To avoid this already long post going on forever and ever, I’ll share more on how to make the decorations (minus the “in progress” photos that were mistakingly deleted) in an upcoming post. UPDATE: Click here to see tutorials on how to create the decorations.

I debated between a balloon wreath, a ribbon wreath and a present bow wreath. I couldn’t decide so I let my husband select and he and Jacob voted for the balloon wreath.

I’d planned on the paper lanters being spread out over the deck but this is what happens when you put a guy in charge. I shared my vision with him but he said he ran out of ribbon.  That said Jacob was a big help in getting this set up to be hung.

While my husband and son picked the balloon wreath, I couldn’t let go of the ribbon idea so I decided to incorporate a ribbon ball as a centerpiece.

Thanks to Britt for hanging the decorations garland and helping set up the food! The paper fans didn’t make it up for the party. We ran out of tape and time. I added them for picture purposes.

The pom poms were made from tissue paper.

The circle punch garland is another tutorial I’ll share soon. I’m thinking about reusing this in the baby’s temporary nursery somehow.

By the way, did you notice the lone streamer? That was not the plan. I envisioned the whole ceiling be covered with streamers but when I started hanging the streamers, Walt scolded me and said he would take care of it. He got so busy that he never got around to it. So that one streamer is all that got hung.

I was actually impressed by the Sesame Street scene setter. It was $5.99 from Party City. It would have been a great backdrop for photos!

Guests arrived on time, however, Lily was still napping and we were still setting up. Pre-babies I was the host ready to go at least 2 hours before the party sitting around wondering when someone was going to show up – boy how times have changed!

Once Lily was up and dressed in her party attire, it was only 10 minutes before her daddy was bringing her back in screaming with a bloody nose. As I was calming her down and cleaning her up, a classmate of hers arrived and Lily was shouting her name through the washcloth pinching her nose and telling me she was ready to go back outside – she is a tough cookie!

The Entertainment

We relied on a bounce house/slide to entertain the kids which proved to be a hit! I considered getting a pinata but I struggled with what to fill it with so we stuck with the bounce house. We placed Lily’s dry erase/chalkboard outside. We had a roll of art paper on a table (that doubled as a “tablecloth”) with a tin filled with crayons for kids to color on (which turned out to be a great keepsake for Lily). I also scattered several Sesame Street tattoos for the kids put on.

Lily showing me her Elmo tatoo.

One of the things I wasn’t able to make was this Cookie Monster bean toss. This may have been fun for the kids that didn’t want to get in the bounce house.

Photo courtesy Indulgy

The Cake

I feel like I may have gone overboard on sweets because I didn’t have a cake. Instead, I had cupcakes and cookies. I attempted cake pops but they didn’t look much like my inspiration so I was hesitant to put them out.

A picture of Lily listing her favorite things was the centerpiece of the dessert table (see tutorial here). We had several cookies since Cookie Monster loves cookies.

For Lily’s cake, I used a small pre-made cake from Target. With my sister-in-law’s help, we added a street sign and an Elmo candle to personalize it. (I just noticed Elmo’s party hat broke off.)

Lily wasn’t sure what to think about the lit candle or singing. She just sank in her chair with shyness.

The above photo is her attempt to blow out her candle but she wasn’t even coming close. The other children are dying to help her.

With a litle lift, she managed to blow out her candle – thankfully there was only one.

Lily and Josie – awww

Lily eating an Elmo cake pop.

Josie, eating a messy cupcake.

I’m so appreciative that my friend, Alison, captured all the cake photos!

Then the kids were back off to play.

Lily needed assistance to get in. I didn’t realize this until late in the party or I would have added a step stool. :)

I knew I lost control when the kids took it upon themselves to bring Lily gifts to open. I hadn’t planned on opening presents but I was outnumbered. :)

Erin, I just noticed Barrett and Lily match!

Jacob helping Lily with her new shoes.

More Party Pics

A few more photos to wrap up the event!

I gave Lily two balloons since she is turning two. Tuck is two and wanted two balloons too. He tried to jump with them in the bounce house. You can guess what happened next. :)

That’s right!

I’m pretty sure it should be one at a time and she shouldn’t be wearing those shoes :)

Lily had an absolute blast!!

I love Shep’s expression in this photo!

Jacob was a great big brother and I think he even enjoyed the party himself!

Lily going back for seconds. If you look closely you can see Elmo in there.

The skirt that I made Lily that she refused to wear.

It worked out though! I love her party dress soo much more!

I had to sneak away to finish the thank you gifts. I’d forgotten all about putting the goodies in the bags.

With the thank you bags came a jar of M&Ms. They went perfectly with the color scheme!

I wanted to do a Sesame Street themed thank you bag of Lily’s favorite things but I couldn’t not find the Elmo fruit chews anywhere!! I’m convinced they stopped making them.

The party favors included a swiral drink cup that the kids could use during the party, bubbles (I glued a Sesame Street character to a plain pack of bubbles), an Elmo book, Sesame Street stickers, a Sesame Street character necklace (I loved working with this Etsy store owner), fruit chews and a jar of M&Ms. The dot bag is Spritz from Target (I glued a thank you sign to them to further the Sesame Street theme).

After Party Pics

We couldn’t get it together. Lily didn’t want to stop playing to take a photo. I gave her a kiss, then daddy gave her a kiss, then I looked at her then he looked at me then Lily looked away. Oh well!

The next day Walt woke up and said he had the post party blues. He was actually sad her party was over. I’m actually ready to move on and focus on the nursery but I think that’s because Lily isn’t 2 yet. She has 5 more weeks and we plan to celebrate again as a family of 5 so I feel like I have a little more time before I have to really put it behind me. I’m not ready for my little princess to age another year.

Thanks to everyone that made Lily’s birthday celebration so successful! She had a wonderful time!!

Click here to check out the tutorials on how to make these party decorations.

Sources: The Sesame Street scene setter, Sesame Street tattoos, Elmo candle, Elmo Icing Decorations for the cupcakes, red swirl cups with straws and paper lanterns (here is a less expensive alternative) were from Party City. The circle dot bags, the Elmo book (from the dollar bins) and bubbles are from Target. The stickers are from Walmart, the M&M jars are from Ikea, the necklaces I found on Etsy. The printables (the Sesame Street street signs, birthday banner and round/scalloped thank you or sesame street characters) were free. I won a gift card to an Etsy store that is no longer in business. My only feedback on purchasing printables from Etsy is be prepared to use a lot of ink. I went through a whole cartridge printing the paper products.

Linking to: The Shabby Creek Cottage, The Frugal Girls, Serenity Now, Tatertots and Jello, I Heart Naptime

Visit thecsiproject.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

46 comments

1. Heidi Rew says:

Love the Sesame Street Party! The balloon wreath is adorable! Did that take a long time?? Everything turned out great! <3 Heidi Rew from Parties for Pennies

• guyerfamily says:

Heidi, thank you so much for visiting my blog!!! It made the wreath a couple of evenings while watching tv. I'd say it took 2 – 3 hours. I plan to include a few more details this weekend. Hope to see you back! Angela

2. Sue Deege says:

You did a super great job with this party.  Not many could pull this off considering your circumstances and all the little things that seemed to go wrong per your comments.   One day Lily will look back and wonder how her Mom and Dad were able to have such a fantastic party for her 2 year old birthday.  Special Memories for her and you guys also.  Jacob is a great big brother.  Looking forward to next year when WE get to celebrate another party for the new addition to the Guyer family.  Wish I could have been there…..Sue

3. patsy says:

Dear Angela, you continue to amaze me with your varous talents. soon the focus will transfer to new baby boy. please let me know if i can help you anytime. i dont have any money, but i have a lot of time on my hands and would be a perfect assistant to you over the next several weeks.  I volunteer to get your groceries, help you stay caught up with laundry; you decide. I have nothing but time on my hands and no family here.
    (((hugs)))) patsy

• guyerfamily says:

Shannon, I purchased the printable from Easy Invitiations on Etsy, however, the business closed. There are other stores that offer customizable signs. I’m happy to share the Lily Grace sign if you need that specific name. Thanks for stopping by!

Angela

4. melody says:

Love all your sesame street Birthday Ideas.  I am soing a sesame street party for my 2 year old daughter and she loves all her sesame st books. We just came back from Sesame place so I'm so exicted for her birthday.  I have been making the ribbon ball tonight and ordered the invitations. Where did you get the sign for the balloon wreath that said your child's name? My email address is melodymoore!@hotmail.com
    Thank you so much for your great ideas and sharing them.
    Melody Moore

• guyerfamily says:

Melody, how fun!! I hope you are enjoying the crafts! I actually got the personalized signs from an Etsy store that is no longer in business. I have a template I created that is similar. It’s not the same font but I’d be happy to plug in your child’s name and send you a PDF file if you have a way to print it. Let me know.
      Angela

• Natale says:

Hi! I love your daughter’s party! It’s so cute!!! I’m doing an Elmo/Sesame Street theme for my daughter’s 2nd birthday. I’ve been looking everywhere for a free way to get the sesame street sign with her name in it. Would you care to share your file? my email is natalielindy@gmail.com.

Thanks so much!

• guyerfamily says:

Natale, Thank you for your email and I apologize for the delay. I actually purchased my customized name signs from an Etsy shop. I’ve received several requests for a template but the ones I have are PDF files that I’m unable to edit. I’m considering creating a template but it won’t be perfect because my design skills are limited. I’ll let you know if I create something.

Angela

• Jessica says:

Hi!

I love your balloon wreath! I am working on creating one for my son now who is turning two and would love to do a little sign like you did to put in the middle of the wreath. Are you able to share your template with me? My email is Jly1525@yahoo.com. Thank you so much!!

5. Hayley Ross says:

I was just trying to figure out what neutral themed party I could throw for my daughter's second and my son's first (golden) birthday party. This party theme is excellent and I am SO thankful for bloggers like you! You did an amazing job.

• guyerfamily says:

Hayley, Thank you so much for your comment!! I’m glad to hear you find it helpful! Enjoy your birthday planning!! My son’s and daughter’s birthday are a week apart. Your idea of using versatile decorations that I could use for both is a great idea!

6. Christian Avis says:

oh my goodness! I saw your balloon wreath via pinterest, and I love the idea! but I must say, more interesting than the wreath, it was the name that caught my eye, as my daughters name is Lillian Grace, and we call her Lilly grace for short. lol. But I love your site, as well as choice of names! 😉

• guyerfamily says:

Hi Christian, thank you so much for checking out the blog and leaving a comment. That is so interesting that our daughters essentially have the same name. We considered naming our daughter Lillian as well. Both Lily and Grace are gaining popularity but I haven’t seen them together. They say great minds think alike.  Thanks again!

Angela

7. Matt says:

Just found your blog and you have such great creative ideas. My daughter is coming up on her 1st birthday and we are having a Sesame Street themed party and my wife loves your idea for the ballon wreath and I wanted to know where you got the template for the street sign that said your daughter’s name and age as the street number?

8. Jessica says:

Hi,

I love your balloon wreath! I am working on creating one for my sons 2nd birthday and would love to put a sign in the middle of the wreath like you did. Are you able to share your template with me? Thank you so much! My email is jly1525@yahoo.com

9. Lisa says:

Hi, its been a awhile since you did the sesame street party but would you remember the size of the ball you used for the ribbon ball and the wreath for the balloons. They are just what i am looking to do for my daughters birthday. Thanks

• guyerfamily says:

Hi Lisa, Thanks for visiting the blog! I used a six inch styrofoam ball for the ribbon ball centerpieces and the wreath was an 18 inch straw wreath which I thought was a little large but it turned out really great. I think a 12 inch would have been a little small for the front door. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks again for stopping by! Hope you have a great party!!

10. Karla Rodriguez says:

Hi. Loved the party theme and I would like to know where you got your polka dot goodie bag. Loved the idea and colors

• guyerfamily says:

So sorry!! I completely forgot to respond. The polka dot bags were from Spritz brand at Target. They were so reasonable but unfortunately I haven’t seen them lately. Thank you for visiting the blog and for reaching out. I’m sorry again for the delay!