Our Master Bath

It seems like I'm always working on our house and at times it feels like I'm not making any progress. I'll get sidetracked by a quick and easy project so I thought I'd just start posting a room each month in it's current state. Hopefully this will help me stay focused on one room at a time, maybe even motivate me to complete it or at least help me see the progress.

First up is the master bath. I consider it fairly complete since I don't have too much {a relative term} on the to-do list.

The Before

We didn't think the before was bad. Although now that I look at it, the paint color was a bit drab. However, the storage was very limited and we live in a 1947 home where space is a premium and we need to make ever inch count. We needed a vanity that could hold more than a couple of rolls of toilet paper and my makeup bag.

The After

The vanity we selected was a stock vanity that our builder offered. While the dark raised panels and brushed nickel pulls dress it up, it's made of pretty basic materials (i.e.laminate and pressed wood). We selected a marble countertop but the builders made several errors in measuring and installing the countertop. The sink was not centered on the vanity, the vanity was too close to the wall that we couldn't open the door more than 45 degrees so we ended up getting upgraded to a corian countertop but that was still little to compensate for the three months we couldn't use the sink. My only complaint about the corian countertop is that it stains {so I have to be careful when I color my hair}.

I like our shower tile but I hate our floor tile. It's a bit to peachy orange for me. We regrouted the bathroom with the same grout to help unify the space. We also picked a paint color that would emphasize the warmer brown tones of the tile. That and I have two floor mats to help conceal the floor.

We reused the light fixture and faucet to save money. The framed mirror was something I found at Lowes online. I wanted something that would match the cabinets.

The unattractive gadget in the corner of the the countertop is a dehumidifer. The bathroom is not well insulated and has poor air circulation so it was humid and musty. The dehumidier makes a world of difference! I would definitely recommend one to someone that has similar issues in a bath or even basement.

I thought about removing our laundry hamper for the sake of the picture but this is our reality. I've been wanting to move the laundry hamper to the closet but that would mean we would have to give up a clothing rack and I'm not sure we are ready for that yet. We separated whites, darks and dry cleaning but with the amount of running my husband has been doing lately the third slot has been taken over by sweaty towels.

We try to minimize clutter and keep things off the counter but Q-tips were a must with my husband so I stick them in a decorative candle holder on the counter next to a photo of us from our trip to Costa Rica. I love the texture of each piece.

After Lily was born, I discovered Etsy and I went a little crazy purchasing vinyl wall art for the different rooms. This and the one in Lily's room are the only ones I haven't grown tired of.

It's a Bob Marley quote "Love the Life you Live, Live the Life you Love."

The bathroom window doesn't open. The previous owner applied a film over it for privacy. It adds a bit of interest, still allows a lot of light in during the day (photo below is at night) and suits a great purpose so we never bothered to change it out.

A banana leaf basket corrals magazines, toilet paper rolls and air freshener.

Our toothbrushes reside in a decorative tumbler. {The little one is Lil's. She likes to copy us if she is in there while we are getting ready}

I have a few skincare essentials on a small mirrored tray.

My only wall art is a piece of Ikea fabric in a frame. I'm working on finding something better for this space.

That wraps up the master bath.

Source List:

• Mirror: Lowes
  • Toothbrush tumbler: Tuesday Morning
  • Artifical Potted Plant: Ikea
  • Candle Holder: Target
  • Banana Leaf Basket: Target
  • Bath mats: West Elm
  • Wall Clock: Target
  • 3-picture frame: Ikea

Linking to: Tatertots and Jello, I Heart Naptime, Between Naps on the Porch, Savvy Southern Style, The Shabby Creek Cottage

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. says

Looks great Angela!  I love the new vanity and mirror.  I have similar pinkish/orange bathroom floor tiles and would like to do my kids bathroom in black and white, but I worry if I paint the vanity black with these floor tiles it will look a little '80's.  Where did you get your bath mats?  Thanks!

• says

Sharon,

Thanks for visiting the blog! The bath mats are the Iznik bath mat from West Elm. I purchased them on sale and according to the store’s site, they are no longer available. By the way, I just love your blue cake stand! And Crystal is a friend of mine! I’ve been wanting to make her pumpkin spice cake! What a small world!
      Angela

2. says

I would love to know where you found a dehumidifier that tiny! Our own vintage 1929 bathroom has no venting and it isn't a huge problem in the cooler months, but in the warmer months it could be a lifesaver!

• says

Hi Catherine,

It’s an Eva Dry dehumidifier. I purchased it on Amazon {http://www.amazon.com/Eva-dry-Edv-1100-Electric-Petite-Dehumidifier/dp/B000H0ZDD2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1349581966&sr=8-2&keywords=eva+dry+humidifier}. While I hate to spend money on these type of things, we have been very pleased! I’m looking forward to checking out your site!

Thanks for visiting!
      Angela

3. Sue Deege says

Very nice…  You both did a great job.  So elegant too………but I am still waiting on photos of Parker!!!!  Where is he?   Take care…Sue

• says

Hi Sue, How are you? It’s great to hear from you! I’m working on it! I’ve been posting a couple of pictures to Facebook but I’m hoping to post some to the blog this week!  Thanks for visiting!

4. Mary says

I love what you did to your bathroom!  May I ask what you did in lieu of a shower curtain?  Is that glass?  I have a similar sized bathroom and with three boys, a shower curtain so close to the toilet is not a good combo.  ;)  Thanks!

• says

Mary, thank you do much for visiting the blog. I completely understand the boy thing!! In lieu of a bath tub we just have a large stand up shower. We have a glass partition separating the shower from the rest of the space. However, the “doorway” into the shower space is open. So in other words we don’t have a shower door. The only thing about glass is it gets water spots. We have a squeegee in the shower and we wipe down the glass after each shower to avoid having to clean it so often.

Thanks again for visiting!

5. says

I have been browsing online greater than three hours lately, yet I never discovered any attention-grabbing article like yours.
    It is pretty price sufficient for me. In my opinion, if all site owners and bloggers made good content as you probably did,
    the web shall be a lot more useful than ever before.
    Delray Beach Realtors recently posted..Delray Beach RealtorsMy Profile

6. says

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point.
    You definitely know what youre talking about,
    why waste your intelligence on just posting videos to your blog when you could be giving us something informative to read?
    a recently posted..aMy Profile

7. says

Today, I went to the beach front with my kids.
    I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and
    said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She placed
    the shell to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and
    it pinched her ear. She never wants to go back! LoL I know
    this is entirely off topic but I had to tell someone!

my website; Pompano Beach Subs