Another year has flown by! Townes turned three!!! He is our youngest. I’ll admit I still see him as a baby despite how many times he may say (or yell) “I’m not a baby anymore, I’m a big boy!!” I hope that doesn’t cost me top dollar in therapy bills down the road for babying my little boy.
Anyway, he turned 3 and he was very excited about his birthday party. His birthday party was a Hot Wheel Party Theme. I’ll admit we influenced that. When we asked what kind of birthday party he wanted he’d say “Mickey Mouse” or “Curious George”. Mickey Mouse is still his favorite show and Curious George is his favorite book but we have done both of those for his first and second so we offered Superheroes, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Hot Wheels and to our surprise he selected Hot Wheels.
Against Walt’s preference we decided to have it at home to save money and I think it turned out well! As always, I don’t have as many photos as I’d hoped but I wanted to jot down a few highlights before they get lost with the other upcoming birthdays we have.
For starters, he has been very excited about this birthday. It’s the first that he understands. He started practicing telling people he was three a few weeks before the occasion.
I tried to keep it fairly simple. The food consisted of Chick Fil a nuggets, a fruit salad, applesauce, goldfish, cookies and cake. For entertainment we had a couple of kiddie pools which seemed to be a hit. That’s Townes jumping off the slide. I quickly realized a two and a half hour party for 3 year olds was a lot longer than I thought. So I pulled out the Melissa and Doug DIY race car kits. and a couple of race tracks including this DIY race track made from a pool noodle (tutorial here) We also had a pinata which was fun to watch. The kids really didn’t know what to do. The pinata actually got knocked down by our youngest 2 year old participant so we resorted to the strings and then eventually me just scattering the treats around.
The hot wheel birthday cake
I loved the cake. It was actually from the local Publix. I took a Pinterest inspiration of what I wanted and they made it happen. I was pleased with it for $35!
- He has the sweetest smile and a tender heart.
- He absolutely loves his siblings.
- He has a compassionate, sensitive side for a 3 year old. He hates to see his sister get in trouble or anyone get hurt.
- He loves superheros, hot wheel cars, Mickey Mouse, TMNT, and books about any of those. He would live on watermelon, berries, cake and cookies if we let him.
- His favorite phrase is “I do it by my own!” usually in all CAPS. He is learning to be independent but that usually prolongs the process so I’m learning to take a deep breathe and be a little more patient so he can continue to learn and grow.
- He LOVES, LOVES, LOVES his taggie blankets. He keeps them with him day and night so they only get washed every few weeks when I wrestle them away or convince him they are too stinky!!
The Hot Wheel Party Favors
Ok, this blogging once a month or every other month is just not cutting it!! I hope to be back sooner rather than later! In the meantime, thanks for stopping by!